Like any business, we have lots of competitors. Maybe some of them have called on you. If they haven’t yet, they will. And when they do, one of the first things they’ll talk about is price.
This is one of the great ironies of promotional products. To get your business (or lure you away from a competitor), distributors invariably focus on how much more cost-effective imprinted items are or how they can do more for less – in other words, they talk price. But once they have the business locked up, price takes a back seat to relationships, creativity and numerous other factors.
And that’s as it should be. As we’ve said before, staying on budget is only one element in the promotional mix. Here are some other key considerations to keep in mind:
- Turnaround time. When do you need it? Is on-time delivery guaranteed? Does your current provider have a good track record in this area?
- Quality. Do the products you use have a high perceived value? Will they last? Will logoed apparel stand up under repeated washing/wearing? Remember that your company’s image and reputation are a reflection of the imprinted items you distribute.
- Creativity. Are the ideas your provider comes up with cutting through the clutter and achieving your marketing goals? Is packaging always discussed? How about targeting and delivery?
- Availability. Will the items you choose be in stock if you need to re-order? How about color, size, etc.? This factor also ties in with turnaround time.
- Imprint. Is your message visible? Does it fit the item? Will it last? This is critical to the longevity of your promotion.
- Shipping/Delivery. Who chooses the method? Does your provider inspect the merchandise before you receive it? Is it trackable in case time becomes a factor?
These are the things that, taken together, create successful long-term relationships. As you can see, price is not the only factor in determining your choice of vendor. Just give us a call at 708-478-8222 or send us an e-mail to start a dialogue about performance issues.